Seagate Exos X16 3.5-Inch Internal 512e/4Kn SAS Enterprise Hard Drive
Perfect for storage-intensive workloads, OLTP, Hadoop, Ceph and HPC applications
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Get a Quote!
Scalable. Responsive. Innovative.
For everything hyperscale, there’s Exos X— the most powerful way to access the datasphere and harness the full potential of the cloud. Exos X16, Exos X12, and Exos X10 enterprise hard drives integrate the latest technology in support of a scalable, secure, and reliable cloud data center. Specifically designed to work in highly scalable environments requiring low power consumption and weight, the Exos X series hard drives perform consistently while scaling to meet the stringent TCO requirements of most cloud-based data centers.
Exos X12 Series
Seagate manufactures hard drives that specifically address the needs of the hyperscale storage market. As the flagship of the Seagate X class, the Exos X16 enterprise hard drives are the highest-capacity hard drives in the fleet.
- Stores up to 12.8PB in a 42U rack with helium technology
- Leading sustained data rate 261MB/s
- Random write of 440 IOP/s
- Reduced complexity with FastFormat™
- Reduced TCO with low weight of 670g and 0.31 W/TB
- 550TB/yr—10× the workload rating of desktop drives
- Seagate Secure encryption technology
- Hyperscale applications/cloud data centers
- Massive scale-out data centers
- Big Data applications
- High-capacity density RAID storage
- Mainstream enterprise external storage arrays
- Distributed file systems, including Hadoop and Ceph
- Enterprise backup and restore—D2D, virtual tape
- Centralized surveillance
Maximum Storage Capacity for Highest Rack Space Efficiency
- Industry's first 16TB drive for 33% more petabytes per rack1
- Highest 16TB hard drive performance with enhanced caching, making it perfect for cloud data center and massive scale-out data center applications
- Hyperscale SATA model tuned for large data transfers and low latency
- PowerBalance™ feature optimizes Watts/TB
- Helium sealed-drive design delivers lower total cost of ownership through lower power and weight
- Next-generation helium side-sealing weld technology for added handling robustness and leak protection
- Digital environmental sensors to monitor internal drive conditions for optimal operation and performance
- Data protection and security: Seagate Secure™ features for safe, affordable, fast, and easy drive retirement
- Proven enterprise-class reliability backed by 5-year limited warranty and 2.5M-hr MTBF rating
Innovative Helium Design
The Exos X16 hard drive is built on a rock-solid sealed-drive design. A wrought-aluminum base and a helium sealed-drive design with no porosity and uniform density are designed with superior material and wide-weld design for a more robust, hermetically sealed-drive enclosure. Exos X12 hard drives incorporate digital environmental sensors for measuring pressure in the drive, helping to ensure high reliability, performance and quality.
Enhanced Enterprise Reliability, Data Protection and Security
Seagate is the industry leader in data-at-rest protection with the broadest offering of technologies to help ensure reliable, trusted products. Seagate Secure™ models provide hardware-based security to help protect data-at-rest. With Instant Secure Erase, drive retirement is safe, affordable, fast and easy. Seagate Secure models meet the NIST 800-88 media sanitization specification and support the Trusted Computer Group (TCG) standard.2 The X class Exos X12 hard drive is a proven, enterprise-class hard drive with maximum reliability backed by a 2.5 million hour MTBF.
1 Compared to 12TB competitive product.
2 Self-Encrypting Drives (SED) are not available in all models or countries. May require TCG-compliant host or controller support.
|Specifications - 512 Emulation/4K Native||16TB||14TB|
|Standard Model FastFormat™1||ST16000NM002G||ST14000NM002G|
|SED Model FastFormat1,2||ST16000NM004G||ST14000NM004G|
|Interface||12Gb/s SAS||12Gb/s SAS|
|Helium Sealed-Drive Design||Yes||Yes|
|Protection Information (T10 DIF)||Yes||Yes|
|PowerChoice™ Idle Power Technology||Yes||Yes|
|PowerBalance™ Power/Performance Technology||Yes||Yes|
|Cache, Multisegmented (MB)||256||256|
|Organic Solderability Preservative||Yes||Yes|
|RSA 2048 Firmware Verification (SD&D)||Yes||Yes|
|Reliability / Data Integrity|
|Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF, hours)||2,500,000hr||2,500,000hr|
|Reliability Rating @ Full 24×7 Operation (AFR)||0.35%||0.35%|
|Nonrecoverable Read Errors per Bits Read||1 sector per 10E15||1 sector per 10E15|
|Power-On Hours per Year (24×7)||8760||8760|
|512e Sector Size (Bytes per Sector)||512, 520, 528||512, 520, 528|
|4Kn Sector Size (Bytes per Sector)||4096, 4160, 4224||4096, 4160, 4224|
|Limited Warranty (years)||5||5|
|Spindle Speed (RPM)||7200RPM||7200RPM|
|Interface Access Speed (Gb/s)||12.0, 6.0, 3.0||12.0, 6.0, 3.0|
|Max. Sustained Transfer Rate OD (MB/s,MiB/s)||261, 249||261, 249|
|Random Read/Write 4K QD16 WCD (IOPS)||170/400||170/400|
|Average Latency (ms)||4.16||4.16|
|Rotation Vibration @ 1500 Hz (rad/s²)||12.5||12.5|
|Idle A (W) Average||5.0W||5.0W|
|Max Operating, Random Read/Write 4K/16Q (W)||10.2, 6.2||10.2, 6.2|
|Power Supply Requirements||+12 V and +5 V||+12 V and +5 V|
|Temperature, Operating (°C)||5°C – 60°C||5°C – 60°C|
|Vibration, Nonoperating: 2 to 500Hz (Grms)||2.27||2.27|
|Shock, Operating 2ms (Read/Write) (Gs)||50||50|
|Shock, Nonoperating, 2ms (Gs)||200||200|
|Height (mm/in, max)4||26.11mm/1.028in||26.11mm/1.028in|
|Width (mm/in, max)4||101.85mm/4.010in||101.85mm/4.010in|
|Depth (mm/in, max)4||147.0mm/5.787in||147.0mm/5.787in|
|Carton Unit Quantity||20||20|
|Cartons per Pallet/Cartons per Layer||40 / 8||40 / 8|
1 FastFormat models ship in 512e format state. When switching from 512e to 4Kn by executing the FastFormat routine, all data on the drive will be deleted. Note that data must be aligned to 4K sectors to see improved performance in 4Kn fomat.
2 Self-Encrypting Drives (SED) and FIPS 140-2 Validated drives available through franchised authorized distributors. May require TCG-compliant host or controller support.
3 Supports Hotplug operation per Serial ATA Revision 3.2 specification
4 These base deck dimensions conform to the Small Form Factor Standard (SFF-8301) found at www.sffcommittee.org. For connector-related dimensions, see SFF-8323.
Download the Seagate Exos X16 3.5-Inch Enterprise HDD Datasheet (.PDF)